Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Smithsonian Latino Museum?

So apparently there is debate on whether or not the Smithsonian should build a Latino based museum. Grant it we are a nation of multi-cultural people, but as the article states, would people even want to visit the museum? My mother is part Mexican, making me in turn part also, and I can honestly say I am not that interested in the concept. What will they tell me that I do not already know?

I also had this problem with the American Indian Museum (which somewhere down the line I am also a tiny percentage), and apparently I was not the only one. The American Indian Museum takes the perspective of an 'insider.' I do not know if this is what turned me off about the museum, so much that it was almost just four floors of nothing. There was parts of the museum that focused on the 'modern' Native Americans and it was just mainly sad. I have never been to a reservation, but from what I hear, are not really the best or nicest places to be.

The discussion of the article also makes an interesting point, where do we stop the nationality museums at? Irish, Scottish, Latino, German, etc. On the Mall there is an African American and American Indian Museum, are we going to break down every culture that we have here, and if we did where would all of these museums fit? The article states that there is limited real estate on the National Mall, and do we really want to fill that up with a Latino Museum? Again, I do not think the average person is really interested in going to another cultural museum unfortunately.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/04/26/should-we-have-a-national-latino-museum/an-era-of-decreasing-resources-for-all-museums

No comments:

Post a Comment