Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Movie theater popcorn bad for you? Thank you Captain Obvious...

It seems since the Oscars just happened, or over the weekend was about to happen, I have read in three different newspapers what is actually in movie theater popcorn. I am sorry, but are the readers of the newspapers or the articles surprised that there is over a thousand calories in a tub of large popcorn? or surprised that for every tablespoon of butter you add to the popcorn it adds over a hundred calories?? Or that there is also an unbelievable amount of salt on the popcorn...really? I couldn't tell because every time I put my hand in a tub I have to wipe all of the grains of salt off. The article describes how people who go to see movies think that getting popcorn is the healthier option, because popcorn itself is a 'healthy' snack. I am not sure if these people are diluting themselves into thinking that the popcorn at movie theaters is the same as if they popped it on their stoves or even in a bag in their microwave. Even the popcorn that you pop in the bag still has saturated and trans fat in it, the best bet for trying to make popcorn 'healthy' is to air pop it on the stove. Yet in movie theaters they pop the popcorn in coconut oil, which according to the article is 90 percent saturated fat.

Also another problem with eating popcorn at the theater is the amount, you cannot eat just one serving (one cup) of popcorn and a large tub comes with twenty cups, and free refills.

I have no problem with popcorn at movie theaters, in fact I love it. I love that you can put your own butter and salt on if you want. Honestly sometimes I get out of a movie after eating a lot of it and my chest feels heaving like I am going to have a heart attack, and I know exactly what that is from, the popcorn. I might go to the movies once a month and I will always (or try to) get a popcorn, it is part of the treat and experience of going to the movies. What I have a problem with is the people who think that the popcorn at the theaters might be the 'healthier' option. As Seth Myer and Amy Phoeler (when she was still on) would say on Saturday Night Live: REALLY?!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/popcorn/

No comments:

Post a Comment